Jayarava - Bricolage

I'm calling my Project/Object "bricolage" these days - working with whatever happens to be at hand. Still working on my conceptual continuity...

 

Sunday, December 11, 2005

SETI vs intelligent design

Last week I wrote a kind of off-the-cuff reposte of the idea of intelligent design (ID) on my other blog. My position being, essentially, that even if you accept some sort of design hypothesis there is not a lot of evidence of intelligence in the design of the universe. I've just coined this the Stupid Design (SD) hypothesis. The Panda's Thumb has a lot more on this subject, and in particular is relating it to the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI). Apparently one of the ways that the ID people might seek to 'prove' ID is to look for "intelligently caused signals - God's radio presumably? As Frank Zappa was heard to remark - and I've seen a video of the interview where he does - "hydrogen is said to be the building block of the universe because it is the most common element. However I think stupidity is the most common element in the universe." I think the ID people supports FZ's hypothesis and therefore my own SDH. I do love a good TLA. Tip of the hat to Danny Yee for alerting me to this one.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:54 pm GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ID proponents are themselves proof against ID! Zappa was right.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home