Jayarava - Bricolage

I'm calling my Project/Object "bricolage" these days - working with whatever happens to be at hand. Still working on my conceptual continuity...

 

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Avalokiteshvara Mantra... in Klingon?

Yes that's right. I have added a Klingon script version of the Avalokiteshvara Mantra, aka the Six Syllable Mantra, aka the Mantra of Compassion, om mani padme hum, on my Visible Mantra website. This is, I believe, a world first! Why Klingon you may ask. Well I remember reading somewhere that there were now more speakers of Klingon than Esperanto. There are a number of websites which are dedicated to the language, and even a few that compare Klingon with Esperanto, and Omniglot provides a Klingon alphabet, so I thought, why not? There is no reason to assume that speakers of Klingon, or even Klingons themselves, might not benefit from hearing/seeing the mantra. I also fancy that there is a vague resemblance between Klingons and pre-Buddhist Tibetans, who were a vicious and much feared warrior race given to attacking outlying Chinese settlements and Silk Road wagon trains, and look what happened to them once the mantra took hold. Now that they've made peace with the Federation, who knows what is possible?

I've also added the mantra in the Elvish script. Actually to be accuarate I have written the mantra in the Tengwar script, using the Quenya mode. Tengwar is the script that Tolkien invented to write Elvish languages, which he also invented. Quenya seemed the better of the two main modes to write mantras in - being sometimes described as "High Elvish". The Elves have a long tradition of magic and magical words and letters, and I suspect they'd take to mantras like ducks to water. Tengwar is not an easy script to write Sanskrit in, but it's easier than, say, Japanese which has a more restricted sound pallet.

I plan to do a few more Elvish mantras, but Klingon is a bitch to do calligraphy for, so I think I'll just have the one for novelty value.

Live long and prosper __\\//

2 Comments:

  • At 9:36 pm GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    After two sentences I was going to suggest Elvish, then I kept reading. Always "one step ahead" of me!

    Either way, I'm confused...

     
  • At 4:12 am GMT+1, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Esperanto

    " Total speakers:
    Native: approx. 1000;
    Fluent speakers: est. 100,000 to 2 million! "

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

     

Post a Comment

<< Home