Jayarava - Bricolage

I'm calling my Project/Object "bricolage" these days - working with whatever happens to be at hand. Still working on my conceptual continuity...

 

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Worship Not These False Idols

I like the tone of this rant by a Wired staffer. Wired
He asks the questions of why people idolise businessmen who have gotten rich by exploiting the foolishness of the masses. I'm not a great fan of any ideology which assumes conflict, as does Marxism, and there is a flavour of Marxism about Long's rant. However I'm willing to be tolerant in this case. Gates and Jobs probably don't have our best interests at heart, and I don't see why we should give either of them our loyalty or praise.

Don't get me wrong, I like computers, but they're just tools. If it hadn't been Gates manipultaing the markets to get his product out there it would have been some other greedy bastard. Sure now that he's got billions he can afford to be generous, but he wasn't and isn't generous in business. The money he's giving away was gotten through exploitation.

Anyway there are a lot of other opinions expressed on the Wired page so if you don't like mine I'm sure you can find one that you do agree with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home