Jayarava - Bricolage

I'm calling my Project/Object "bricolage" these days - working with whatever happens to be at hand. Still working on my conceptual continuity...

 

Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Art

I haven't got around to getting photo's of artwork I did while on my ordination retreat, but I stumbled on a photo taken by Ashvajit while he was out for the ordinations. The image shows two works. A spire in the background (left a bit) was about 2m tall, took several hours and kept falling over. The arch was one of 6 or 7 and happens to be the best of the bunch. In a sense I think of it more of as a cascasde from the higher rock to the lower.

Another photo by Ashvajit. This time of a bundle of sticks representing the water element and the southern direction. Part of a planned series of four, but was the only one completed.

Other examples of my outdoor art can be found at jayarava.org.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:30 pm GMT, Blogger David said…

    That arch is cool. It looks almost 'accidental' if you get what I mean. Not too rigid or confined.

     
  • At 10:09 pm GMT, Blogger Jayarava said…

    Hi Dave,

    There is someting organic about a good arch. And there is this thing when you wedge in the keystone, the arch becomes a single entity rather than two crooked piles of stones (which it is until then). You can feel it happening and I do love making arches for that reason. The thing starts to move as a whole, you can rock them (pardon the pun) and the whole thing moves. It's like Andy Goldsworthy says, the stones have something to tell you, and you learn it by mucking about with them.

     
  • At 3:42 pm GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Absolutely wonderful, J! I think I like this style of your "mucking about" the best. I remember all that stuff you did in the field in Cambridge with the scraps and bits you found there. And these photos are Goldsworthy-worthy!

     
  • At 7:12 pm GMT, Blogger Jayarava said…

    Hi Pema,

    It's like scrap-yard challenge for artists. Hey anybody know a TV producer? Put a bunch of artists in a junkyard, give them an oxy-acetylene torch and tell them to come up with a major public sculpture. Jr.

     
  • At 9:49 pm GMT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm, could be the latest reality tv show. Junkart Challenge.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home